We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – personalized video is a powerful tool that every marketer should put in their toolbox. Personalized videos bring together the best of many worlds.
Video by nature is more engaging than text content. Personalization speaks directly to the customer’s needs rather than sending a broad message that doesn’t resonate with each individual.
When combined, these two elements present new possibilities for engagement that other forms of content simply cannot offer.
Let’s go in-depth as to how personalized videos are created. It is important that you learn the inner workings of this process to understand why personalized videos are so effective.
A 101 ON PERSONALIZED VIDEO
Personalized videos, by definition, are a type of video that references the viewer – injecting their personal story, preferences, or habits into the visual story.
As stated earlier, the purpose of doing this is to address the customer’s unique needs as opposed to the generic broadcast of a sales message. In fact, a personalized video “guides” the customer along their journey to help them reach their goals.
A REMINDER ON PERSONALIZED VIDEO FORMATS
A personalized video can take on multiple effective formats. With that said, personalized videos are often used as explainers, video bills, narratives, onboarding videos, and “thank you”/customer retention videos.
- Explainers – As their name implies, explainer videos teach new concepts to those who are unfamiliar with them. Often this takes the form of product or service explanations. Explainer videos can simply and visually illustrate how a product or service operates, extolling its benefits unique to each viewer.
- Video Bills – An engaging way to see one’s invoice or statement, “video bills” take the typical mail-in-envelope invoice, and turn them into an interactive video summary of your expenses. This helps companies avoid bill shock and customer churn.
- Narratives – These videos are often more creative and emotional in nature, relying on storytelling to communicate messages. In the case of personalized videos, narratives will use viewer data to include the viewer in the story as if they were a character themselves.
- Onboarding – These videos are instructional in nature, with the purpose of acquainting new customers with the products or services they have purchased. Personalization for these videos can greatly strengthen the client-relationship and decrease customer churn.
- “Thank You”/Retention Videos – In these videos, customers are given thanks and praises for their loyalty, donations or generosity. The main goal here is retention and upsell/cross-sell.
The format of the video you choose matters because it partially determines how the video production will unfold. More info on this a bit later.
PRODUCTION OF A PERSONALIZED VIDEO
The production process of a personalized video can differ substantially depending on who you’re working with. With that said, we’re going to focus on the BlueRush process.
Personalized videos begin with the creation of an animated and interactive master template built on our IndiVideo platform that will be used to create data-driven videos.
This template creates an outlet for all possible data sources that may be used in your campaign (ie. RRSP contributions, credit card debt).
It may also include situational-dependant video clips that will only appear to relevant viewers. Once the video template has been defined, a dedicated and secure link is created and send to viewers. When this link is activated, the viewer will immediately render a personalized video complete with video clips and data unique to them.
THE STRATEGIC PROCESS OF PERSONALIZED VIDEO PRODUCTION
- Identify the key goals and purpose of the video – Before deciding a video is worth personalizing, you must determine whether making such a video will help you serve your customer in the best way possible.
- Conduct scenario mapping and identify all possibilities that you want to address – You want to empathize with your customers. Presenting them with scenarios they can relate to (whether they are desirable or a pain point) will help you bridge foster the client-relationship.
- Create a script for approval – Once the direction is established, we create a script with your brand voice, product/service capabilities, and communication objectives in mind.
- Develop 6-point storyboard – As with all video productions, personalized videos need to be mapped out so the stories can be visualized before time, resources, and funds are spent producing them. We will map out these stories in conjunction with your team.
- Create a 20-second sample for approval using genericized voice – The purpose of this stage is to give you a rough idea of what narration for your video will sound like. Of course, you don’t have to use a “stock” voice for your own production!
- Create a longer version for approval – Up to this point, we will have worked together on a sample video path to validate the initial concept. At this point, we will proceed with a longer version of the production so that it’s ready for viewers.
- Incorporate professional audio, as needed – Not all videos will require significant audio elements, but we will add sound effects, music or other audio components at your request. We can also employ Google Text-to-Speech narration which can allow for an advanced level of auditory personalization.
WHY THE PERSONALIZED VIDEO FORMAT MATTERS
The format of your personalized video – explainer, video bill, thank you, whatever you choose – will determine how we approach the creation of your template in addition to the different metrics we’ll track.
More importantly, the format you choose will determine whether your audience engages with the personalized video. Of course, this is something that we will discuss with you early on, so that we make the best and most effective decision for your business.
PERSONALIZED VIDEOS NEED DIRECTION
Personalized video production requires a solid roadmap in order to develop a product that will achieve the results you’re looking for. Our production cycle includes a rigorous planning process to help you construct a video that truly helps you engage with your audience like never before.
If you’re looking to create and launch your first personalized video campaign, get in touch with us. We’ll be sure to get you started on the right foot!